In its thirteen years of operation OP-TEC, the National Science Foundation Advanced Technological Education National Center for Optics and Photonics Education, has developed and updated over 2,500 pages of educational materials:
* 16 Student texts and Faculty Teaching Aids for the laser and optics courses that are used in the Photonics and Precision Optics curriculum models.
* An introductory student text on Integrated Photonics.
* 16 Student modules in photonics-enabled technologies (laser applications)
* Three Program Planning Guides
* Two National Skill Standards
* Three monographs of Best Practices in Student Recruitment, Student Retention and Job Placement
In addition, OP-TEC has created 103 video tutorials and 24 computer-generated, animated graphics to study/understand optical phenomena and mathematical equations (such as trig functions).
In order to sustain its impact in photonics technician education, in May 2019 OP-TEC will release copies of these materials for use by colleges, faculty and students. They will be available without cost, from the OP-TEC website in May. Later this summer, LASER-TEC, CREOL/UCF, ATE Central and other organizations (such as technical societies) will also distribute these materials.
A complete list of these materials is shown in the right column of this newsletter.